Engaged Learning Course Development Proposal
This short application is designed to help you anticipate the support you may need from the Office of Engaged Learning as you prepare your formal course submission to the College of Arts & Sciences Core Curriculum Advisory Committee. We understand that your answers to questions 16 and 17 will be tentative; this proposal does not bind the department to offer a specific number of sections or seats. Rather, this information is helpful to the OEL for planning purposes as we prepare to support instructors in the implementation of courses on the Engaged Learning Distribution List.
As you prepare your submission, we recommend copying and pasting this list of questions you will answer in the web form below into a Word document. When submitting the proposal you will also be asked to upload a copy of your Department Chair’s support letter.
- Course Instructor 1 (Name and Title):
- Course Instructor 2 (Name and Title) (if applicable):
- Instructor 1 Email:
- Instructor 2 Email (if applicable):
- What is your Department/School?:
- Course Title (30 characters or fewer):
- Number of credit hours (1-4):
- Course description: (Recommended length 100-250 words)
- Please explain the course goals or objectives, making explicit how the course addresses the objectives of the Engaged Learning Distribution List? (Recommended length 250-500 words):
- Is this an existing,new, or significantly revised course?
- If this is a revised course, please explain what is new:
- Does this course currently fulfill any Department/School requirements, or do you anticipate this course filling any Department or School requirements in the future? If so, please specify which Department/School requirement(s).
- What is your department’s procedure and typical timeline for approving a formal course proposal?
- Do you plan to apply for an Arts and Sciences Teaching Innovation Grant or support from the Academy for Teaching and Learning for this course proposal?
- Will your course require community partnerships? If so, do you have partnerships in mind, or would you need the assistance of the Office of Engaged Learning (OEL) to establish partnerships?
- Anticipated frequency this course would be offered and number of sections? (e.g. one section each semester, one section each year, two sections each year, one section every other year, etc.)
Note – special topics courses that will be offered only one time are not eligible for inclusion in an Arts & Science Core Distribution List. However, by proposing a course for inclusion in the EL, DL you are not committing to offering multiple sections of the course each semester or year.
- Anticipated enrollment cap per section:
- A limited number of OEL peer instructors are available to assist with logistics for EL DL courses. Would you like to request the assistance of an OEL peer instructor?
- Please attach/upload your chair letter of support
 For guidance on the appropriate number of course hours, consult the Provost’s website. https://vpue.web.baylor.edu/resources-faculty/frequently-asked-question-curriculum-changes; https://www.baylor.edu/risk/doc.php/351311.pdf.
 Find information about the A&S Teaching Innovation Award here: https://artsandsciences.baylor.edu/research/research-resources/research-leaves-summer-research-and-teaching-innovation-awards. For more information about the grants available through the Academy for Teaching and Learning, visit their website: https://www.baylor.edu/atl/.